Kathy Flaminio of 1000 Petals, LLC answers the question, what if your biggest challenge in life is your gift? Another way to word this question is, what if what is in your way, is the way? Certain challenges in her youth provided a launching pad for Kathy’s life work.
Ames, Iowa, is not only farm country. Kathy’s father, an Anthropologist Professor at Iowa State and her mother, a social worker and fantastic cook, brought a rich multicultural and academic world into their home and community. Margaret Mead (1901-1978), the famous cultural anthropologist, writer, and women’s rights activist, was an overnight guest in their home! Songs, dances, poetry, interesting conversation, and food were part of their family’s Native American and Jewish traditions with ‘rights of passage’ ceremonies to commemorate life transitions like menstruation. A funny tale and endearing gift from her father encompass many memorable experiences growing up.
I feel fortunate to know Kathy and understand her life passion and the importance of bringing her work with children and families into diverse settings. How does she merge two loves, exercise and social work education? Maybe you are trying to combine your two loves into a fulfilling business that fills a need in the community you are in. Need ideas? Kathy will share how she did it. You can be inspired to figure out how to combine your two career loves, too.
Kathy Flaminio. Kathy Flaminio is the creator of 1000 Petals LLC, a training and consulting company on the Science and Practice of Mindfulness and Movement. Kathy is committed to developing products and services that provide transformative experiences to help adults and children live a more integrated life.
Kathy holds a master’s degree in social work and has over 20 years of experience in schools. As the National Director of Training Development for Yoga Calm®, Kathy has guided over 8,000 professionals to integrate yoga-based movement, mindfulness, and social/emotional skills’ strategies into classrooms, hospitals, home care and therapeutic settings. Kathy has partnered with the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s hospital to provide trauma informed yoga therapy for children and adolescents on the mental health and dual diagnosis units.
Over the past five years, Kathy has worked with four of the largest school districts in Minnesota to bring Yoga Calm® training to their educators’ district wide. In 2014, Kathy helped develop the Teen Resiliency Program in the Twin Cities with Dr. Henry Emmons and other physicians and psychologists. This program is an integrative skill based model used to support teens with anxiety, depression, and other stress-related conditions. www.1000-petals.com
Download this episode. (right click to download)
Resources discussed during today’s mentoring conversation.
- Yoga Calm for Children by Jim and Lynea Gillen, is an integrated approach to wellness curriculum used in schools, hospitals and community-based settings. Yoga Calm® engages heart, mind and body through its unique integration of physical yoga, mindfulness activities and social-emotional learning. It’s yoga for kids and teens that goes beyond the usual yoga benefits of physical fitness, stress reduction and mindfulness. It helps kids develop emotional intelligence, communication skills, compassion, trust and empathy. It nurtures teamwork and leadership. It provides for a calmer home and more productive school environment. www.yogacalm.com
- Some books by cultural anthropologist and writer, Margaret Mead: Coming of Age in Samoa (1928), Growing Up in New Guinea (1930), Male and Female (1949), and Growth and Culture (1951). http://www.biography.com/people/margaret-mead-9404056
- Law of Attraction: You attract in your life what you envision and think about every day. Minute by minute you create your future. So, notice what you are thinking about throughout each day. Focus your energies on ways you can contribute to a better world.
Calm leadership approach during this holiday season:
- Connect with me today, email@example.com to take charge of your leadership development in 2017. We are starting new WeMentor Entrepreneurial Leadership and Mentoring LABS combining yoga, meditation, and leadership development. Now is the time to take your leadership to a holistic new level!
- Go to https://insighttimer.com/ and download Insight Timer for free. There are 3,329 guided meditations, music tracks, talks, and courses to choose from. Every month the Insight Timer community meditates for more than 1 million hours. Participate in the peace and calm promoting movement.
- Donate to support our podcast program at www.wementor.com. Click on donate button. We appreciate any and every contribution! Thank you.
What if your biggest challenge in life is your gift? Episode 50 www.1000-petals.com
Next Monday’s Mentoring Conversation:
Kathy Flaminio will be back in the studio for a second mentoring session. Learn how Kathy works and the five basic principles of her Yoga Calm® program.