The beauty in moving every three years, from small town to small west central Minnesota town, is the opportunity to be a rock star as the new kid. Jodi Standke’s upbringing shaped who she is and the type of work she does now.
Our first of three mentoring conversations begins with learning what prompted her family to move every three years. You will hear the beginnings of her entrepreneurial leadership climb into business ownership.
Babysitting helped her learn what it means to be responsible. Both sets of grandparents and her parents taught Jodi the value of hard work. “You earn it,” she says.
Naiveté is explored as we finish our conversation. Driving and social do’s and don’ts were quickly learned when she moved to Minneapolis after graduating from Winona State University. Jodi describes how many of us were encouraged to go to college. Where was the emphasis in picking schools? Her effervescent descriptions engage you throughout our conversation. She knows herself.
Jodi L. Standke. Jodi is CEO of Talon Performance Group and owner of Talon Business Center in St. Louis Park. In 1999, she founded Legal Liaisons, Ltd., a successful, full-service executive search firm for the legal industry. To meet the evolving needs of her legal industry clients, she transformed the business from recruitment into a comprehensive talent management firm: Talon Performance Group.
Talon Performance Group is a national leader in legal talent management. Talon was the first legal talent management company to recognize that law firms and corporate legal departments need more than good talent options to compete. Talon knew they needed resilient leadership, rainmaker training, competency modeling, incisive hiring, emotional intelligence assessments, enhanced teamwork, higher retention, outsourcing flexibility – and good talent.
Today, Jodi helps clients gain a competitive edge by aligning their legal talent with the organization’s distinct culture. She focuses on helping legal professionals make solid career decisions and transitions, and assists law firms and departments with selecting, developing and retaining talent. Hundreds of clients across the country rely on Jodi’s expertise. As a trusted partner, Jodi helps law firms and legal departments develop a cohesive approach to selection, development and retention, which directly impacts their bottom line and is vital to their success. Jodi frequently publishes articles and presents seminars and keynote addresses. www.talonperformancegroup.com
Download this episode. (right click to download)
- Answer the questions after listening:
- How do you acclimate to new environments?
- What relationship building skills did you learn from Jodi?
- This week, where can you tryout one new skill you learned from this mentoring conversation?
- What do you do to gain attention and validation?
- How do you deepen your connection to those you have known a long time? If you don’t do anything, try going for regular walks with one person you would like to get to know better. Walking outside can help you connect and talk freely without any pressure.
- Closing out our 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc., can be great opportunities to shift your life even amongst turbulence and upheaval. The Universal Truth fits here: Pain and fear are life’s greatest teachers. Jodi is in a reflective time. What serves you from how you grew up? What doesn’t serve you anymore? What can you let go of to create space for something that will serve you better?
Mentoring Conversation Resources
- Music gets us through so much of life. If you are experiencing turbulent life transitions play some music that fits your mood. As I write this I am listening on Spotify to 50 Great Female Voices. Wow! Don’t Know Why by Norah Jones. Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt. Free Me by Joss Stone. True Colors by Cyndi Lauper.
Get Here by Oleta Adams just ended. I must play it again. It is so wonderful! You can reach me by railway. You can reach me by trail way… You can always reach me, email@example.com. See you on Monday!
- For humor, Bruno Mars Carpool Karaoke on the Late Late Show with James Corden is a hoot.
- Oscar Winning 40-minute Documentary, The White Helmets offers a dash of hope in the mist of horror and devastation in Syria. These volunteer rescue workers are an inspiration and examples of what a visionary leader and team work can do to help others.
Small Town Movement Leads to Relationship Building Skillset, Episode 64 www.talonperformancegroup.com
Next Monday’s Mentoring Conversation
A second mentoring conversation with James Eder of Causr.co. We explore the entrepreneurial software landscape in London, England.