Blue Heinz can of baked beans with tomato sauce on toast is a hit at my house! When James Eder mentioned in episode 65 how he and his brother, Michael, came up with the name of their website company, Student Beans–now The Bean Group; I had to try a staple in the English diet. I added some fresh parmesan cheese on top and it was delicious! I called my neighbor friend who was born in England. He said he used to have the Blue Heinz can of baked beans with tomato sauce on toast every morning for breakfast growing up. Try it and let me know what you think on the WeMentor Facebook page.
James Eder joins me for our third Skype audio mentoring conversation. He is the essence of entrepreneurship: energy and inspiration, passion, focus, big vision to help others, heart of gold, perseverance, diligent worker, determined to succeed. Causr.co, a location based App, is his third venture. This venture involves four outside investors. He needed to build the software platform for his App which needed investment funds from experienced investor partners who also mentor him. They challenge him in positive ways and help him drive things forward.
James explains what he has learned from his three ventures: co-founding The Bean Group with his brother; starting and sustaining an initiative to get Camden Town alongside Kentish Town on the map; and Causr.co, the App that connects professionals on the go.
What do the two business ventures and the initiative have in common, besides James?
If you don’t have a clear vision about where you are going, learn from James. He has advice that has worked for him regarding intentions and clarity in your pitch delivery. Be ready for unpredictable things to happen. He describes his encounter with past Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David Cameron, and explains how he sponsors his initiative. You will get ideas from listening to James.
James Eder. In 2005, James Eder founded website Student Beans at age 22, alongside his brother Michael. Student Beans, 11-years later, has gone from an idea to a brand recognized globally for its student offers and discounts. Known today as The Beans Group, the business now also encompasses Voxburner, a youth events and insights consultancy.
The company employs a team of over 30 people and continues to recruit and grow. James is also the founder of Kentish Cluster alongside Camden Cluster, an initiative to bring local businesses and people together in London. James is passionate about helping people realize their potential and is a regular speaker at conferences, schools and universities on subjects including marketing, entrepreneurship and building a brand.
Building on his experiences, James’ latest venture Causr.co is all about connecting professionals on the go. Now live on the Apple App store – being hailed as a game changer in social situations, an innovative way to connect with people and maximize opportunities that surround us every day. www.causr.co and www.thebeansgroup.com
- Answer the questions after listening:
- Revisit your intentions. Refine your intentions and really get clear on your vision to help others, plan it out. See what happens when you share your vision.
- How have you connected with the community you live in since March 20, 2017, when Episode 65 aired (the second mentoring conversation with James).
- How are the two businesses James founded and his neighborhood initiative connected?
- How would you use Causr.co if you had downloaded the App from iTunes?
- What ideas were triggered today? What ideas will you act upon?
I love this quote so much, I am using it again today. “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.” – Paulo Coelho
Maybe your heart is desiring a Blue Heinz can of baked beans with tomato sauce on toast! Here is the recipe: heat up a can of Heinz baked beans with tomato sauce. Toast your favorite slice or two of bread. When the baked beans are gently boiling, turn off the heat and scoop as much as you want on the toast. Add fresh grated parmesan cheese on top and eat. Report results on WeMentor Facebook page.
Mentoring Conversation Resources
- Download in the iTunes App Store – Connecting professionals on the go: https://goo.gl/kuxJ04
- Investors in Causr.co
- Simon Franks, https://www.thefff.org/our-founder/
- Andrew Valentine, https://techcrunch.com/2010/04/21/zipcar-streetcar/
- Robin Alvarez, http://zerostartventures.com/theteam.html
- Andrew Singer, Investment Banker, United Kingdom
- Featured in the press: https://goo.gl/s85GwF
- Richard Branson: ‘Technology should enable more in-person interactions, not reduce them.’ Good example here: https://goo.gl/hFh20O
Download this episode. (right click to download)
Next Monday’s Mentoring Conversation
Pete Machalek and Dean Hyers of SagePresence are in the studio together. They discuss their 16-year business partnership. The ups. The downs. The joys in working together.