Download this episode. (right click or press to download)
The making of a 15-year-long strong and healthy partnership has certain qualities that parallel finding a life mate. What are they?
How do you support and leave room for individual revolutionary change within a partnership; especially when you didn’t initiate the change? Pete and Dean demonstrate how the revolutionary process as a leader mirrors the same process as in self-transformation. Why? You are the common denominator. You bring who you are and your feelings to work every day. They play out through behaviors you display in the workplace and with whom you interact. Your feelings, thinking, and behaviors are interconnected.
When one person embarks on this process, everyone is affected. How did they work together and separately to shift and grow? How did Pete and Dean eradicate the thorns that emerged during their time of ambiguity and uncertainty?
How do you know when you have embarked upon a life transformation? You know you are in a revolutionary process and not an evolutionary or step by step process because what you are experiencing is huge and consuming. You can’t resolve the issue by yourself. You need a new skillset. You need help. You begin a hunt for resources.
- Your perspective is shifting about who you are, what you are doing, and with whom you are doing things. You are questioning your self-worth.
- You are having trouble naming your feelings that accompany you every day. You are at a loss for words. You hate thinking about it. You hate feeling this way and may try lots of things to force those feelings away. Clarity seems out of reach.
- Disappointment, regret, being stuck in a shame storm are your daily unnamed companions.
- You experience complete overwhelm frequently.
- You feel deeply wounded and maybe even heartbroken.
- You have ventured into the messy unknown where ambiguity and uncertainty live. A hot bed for innovation. (The place where curiosity and ingenuity can fuel innovation if you can learn a constructive way through this experience that leads to clarity, new insights, and rebirth).
Dean Hyers and Pete Machalek. Dean and Pete are consultants and skill builders who specialize in helping business professionals move forward, build business, and work more effectively and productively with each other. In 2001, Dean and Pete co-founded SagePresence around their backgrounds in film from which they cultivated a unique expertise in storytelling and facilitating performances that truly speak to their audiences.
Throughout its history, SagePresence, has helped thousands of clients generate confident and influential ‘stage presence’ to tell powerful stories everywhere from the networking floor to the presenter’s stage. Ultimately, this has led to their clients advancing professionally and winning over $4Billion in new business. www.sagepresence.com
After listening to this episode, answer the following questions:
- Identify where you are in your life. When have you gone through a revolutionary change? Was there a life-defining moment that started you on the revolutionary process that leads to self-mastery?
- What qualities did Pete and Dean highlight as important in choosing a business partner?
- How did Dean and Pete leave room for their individual revolutionary change when Dean initiated the process? How did Pete step up?
- How did empathy and compassion play a role in strengthening their business relationship and friendship?
- Do you need help with your revolutionary process? Would you like to participate in the WeMentor Way of revolutionizing your life and your business?
- Check out our one-year WeMentor Entrepreneurial Leadership and Mentoring LAB. Two LABS are forming; two different types of business owners. Go to http://wementor.com/e-l-m-labsmentoring/ for more information.
- Or, call me today at 612-804-8920!
Mentoring Conversation Resources
Dean and Pete’s Other Podcast Episodes
Dean and Pete TedTalks
- Dean Hyers’ TEDx Talk, https://www.com
- Pete Machalek’ TEDx Talk, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNjEi7XALYY
Eradicating Partnership Thorns, Episode 68, www.sagepresence.com
Next Monday’s Mentoring Conversation
Jodi Standke of Talon Performance Group is in the mist of her revolutionary transformation. In a second mentoring conversation with Jodi, join us to find out her face down moment in the life and leadership arena, and what she did to retool and keep going. http://www.talonperformancegroup.com/