In our final episode of The Blue Zones Series, Ellen Kehr describes how leaders collaborated with Blue Zones experts to create the Albert Lea Downtown Streetscape and facilitated community ownership of their progressive movement. Gallup Poll (2014-2016) overall metrics results of quality life increased by 2.8%. In this same time frame the state of Minnesota’s overall quality of life metrics increased by .05%. Hear the details. Download This Episode. (click or tap to download)
Population increased by 1%. People can live in Albert Lea and work in other communities. Find out Ellen’s perspective on how that works.
The top goal in the Blue Zones project was to build in policies and ordinances, systems, and make environmental changes to get the highest sustainable results. It has worked in Albert Lea. It can work in your community. Ellen believes, and I agree, to make things happen collaboration is the way to go! Get Ellen’s advice on how to move progressively on your community’s quality of life. Download the 8 Healthways Handout pdf under the Mentoring Tips.
Answer the following questions after listening:
- What are the top pieces of advice you learned from Ellen to get a Blue Zones project going in your community?
- Did sitting elected officials in Albert Lea get re-elected after implementing the Blue Zones pilot project? Why or why not?
- How have other communities responded to Albert Lea once the Blue Zone Project was finished?
- What was discovered on the Walking Environment tour with International Engineer, Dan Burton? What were his suggestions?
- How did city leaders work with MN DOT to request Highway changes?
- What was the final design of the city corridor?
- How did the community honor Dan Buettner’s footprints in their community?
Mentoring Conversation Resources
- Star Tribune article about Ellen Kuhr and the Blue Zones. www.startribune.com/blue-zones-project-helped-albert-lea-minn-find-the-benefits-of-walking/304823171/
- Albert Lea’s The Interchange Wine & Coffee Bistro, where we ate lunch. www.theinterchangebistro.com/
- Tony Buettner Youtube Presentation www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GXTjWklTA
- Golden Door Speaker Series: Tony Buettner National Geographic Blue Zones, 2016 www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAF5_85kLck
- The Minnesota Experiment. https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/magazines/special-issues/national-geographic-blue-zones%3A-the-science-of-living-longer-special-issue
I love feedback. What was the impact of this episode on you? www.wementor.com/contact
The Blue Zones Series: Creating A Downtown Streetscape, Episode 81 www.bluezones.com