What kind of monster do you have living within yourself? Anxiety? Depression? ADHD? Can you embrace all parts of yourself? How important is social/emotional learning to you? What do you know about how trauma sits in the body? How do you cultivate resiliency within yourself? How do you know when your heart is open? How do you achieve focus and discipline?
Kathy Flaminio of 1000 Petals, LLC talks mindfulness and movement. Her stories paint a clear picture of what we need more of in hospitals and in our educational programs. Kathy’s vision is to revolutionize education so we are teaching to the mind, body, and heart of each student. “Hundreds of schools have changed because educators have changed,” Kathy says. Find out how a child identifies her monster within and ways she has learned to reckon with it and transcend it.
Yoga Calm® is a technique Kathy teaches to adults and children to change their lives. The depth of work is way more than poses. She describes the profound impact one-hour sessions have with those she has taught.
Kathy’s Yoga Calm® training has five guiding principles and five tools taught that integrate learning with children and adults. Alignment through attitude is a philosophy in the training. What does it mean for you, as an adult, to feel stillness? Etc.
Guiding Principles Tools
- Stillness – expansive, pure joy place 1. Breathwork
- Listening with your heart 2. Yoga Based Movement
- Strength – emotional, physical, mental 3. Social/Emotional Learning
- Grounding – finding your power 4. Relaxation and Storytelling
- Community – connection to others 5. Emotional Guidance – how are we helping people navigate healing?
Download this episode. (right click to download)
Kathy Flaminio. Kathy Flaminio is the creator of 1000 Petals LLC, a training and consulting company on the Science and Practice of Mindfulness and Movement. Kathy is committed to developing products and services that provide transformative experiences to help adults and children live a more integrated life.
Kathy holds a master’s degree in social work and has over 20 years of experience in schools. As the National Director of Training Development for Yoga Calm®, Kathy has guided over 8,000 professionals to integrate yoga-based movement, mindfulness, and social/emotional skills’ strategies into classrooms, hospitals, home care and therapeutic settings. Kathy has partnered with the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s hospital to provide trauma-informed yoga therapy for children and adolescents on the mental health and dual diagnosis units.
Over the past five years, Kathy has worked with four of the largest school districts in Minnesota to bring Yoga Calm® training to their educators district wide. In 2014, Kathy helped develop the Teen Resiliency Program in the Twin Cities with Dr. Henry Emmons and other physicians and psychologists. This program is an integrative skill based model used to support teens with anxiety, depression, and other stress-related conditions. www.1000-petals.com
Resources discussed during today’s mentoring conversation.
Yoga Calm for Children (2007) by Jim and Lynea Gillen, is an integrated approach to wellness curriculum used in schools, hospitals and community-based settings. Yoga Calm® engages heart, mind and body through its unique integration of physical yoga, mindfulness activities and social-emotional learning. It’s yoga for kids and teens that goes beyond the usual yoga benefits of physical fitness, stress reduction and mindfulness. It helps kids develop emotional intelligence, communication skills, compassion, trust and empathy. It nurtures teamwork and leadership. It provides for a calmer home and more productive school environment. www.yogacalm.com
Take your leadership to a holistic new level in 2017!
- Connect with me today, firstname.lastname@example.org. We are starting new WeMentor Entrepreneurial Leadership and Mentoring LABS combining yoga, meditation, and leadership development. I am now a registered yoga instructor, mindfulness meditation teacher, and have focused my life work on revolutionizing small business ownership and entrepreneurial leadership. Revolutionize how you lead and get started today!!!
- Go to https://insighttimer.com/ and download Insight Timer for free. There are 3,329 guided meditations, music tracks, talks, and courses to choose from. Every month the Insight Timer community meditates for more than 1 million hours. Participate in the peace and calm promoting movement.
You are Not The Monster Within Episode 51 www.1000-petals.com
Next Monday’s Mentoring Conversation:
Steven Berg of StevenBe Knitting Store in Minneapolis. Be inspired. StevenBe was chosen in 2016 as one of the top 10 greatest knitting and yarn shops in North America. www.stevenbe.com