Download this episode. (Right click or tap the link.)
When I am around Jodi, I feel her inner strength and brazen courage in changing her life. Her ability to be authentic and real as she walks us through the confluence of three life changing events is an example of brazen courage. She names and claims what happened to her. How did she respond to the recruiting industry collapse after the 2008 market crash? How long did it take for the legal recruiting market to return? What did she do to keep her business afloat? The dissolution of her marriage and the end of her business partnership with her husband left her down but not out. How she emerged from the pit of pain is something you do not want to miss!
If you need a courageous life and leadership story to motivate you this week, this is the one. Hear a solid portion of Jodi’s journey and how clearly she articulates her experience. As you listen, you will get a sense of how long it takes to grieve and sort out multiple losses. What is she still sorting out and what is the wisdom she gleaned from these wake-up calls?
Listening to Jodi’s podcast will aid in naming your own wake-up calls. You may even extend more compassion to yourself. Listen to learn how to engage your inner brazen courage in defining and sharing your life stories and wisdom with others.
Jodi L. Standke. Jodi is CEO of Talon Performance Group and owner of Talon Business Center in St. Louis Park. In 1999, she founded Legal Liaisons, Ltd., a successful, full-service executive search firm for the legal industry. To meet the evolving needs of her legal industry clients, she transformed the business from recruitment into a comprehensive talent management firm: Talon Performance Group.
Talon Performance Group is a national leader in legal talent management. Talon was the first legal talent management company to recognize that law firms and corporate legal departments need more than good talent options to compete. Talon knew they needed resilient leadership, rainmaker training, competency modeling, incisive hiring, emotional intelligence assessments, enhanced teamwork, higher retention, outsourcing flexibility – and good talent.
Today, Jodi helps clients gain a competitive edge by aligning their legal talent with the organization’s distinct culture. She focuses on helping legal professionals make solid career decisions and transitions, and assists law firms and departments with selecting, developing and retaining talent. Hundreds of clients across the country rely on Jodi’s expertise. As a trusted partner, Jodi helps law firms and legal departments develop a cohesive approach to selection, development and retention, which directly impacts their bottom line and is vital to their success. Jodi frequently publishes articles and presents seminars and keynote addresses. www.talonperformancegroup.com
- Answer the following questions after listening:
- When your life goes to he** in a hand bag, how do you move forward? What is Jodi’s advice?
- What are Jodi’s thoughts about operating a business without a leader? How does human nature come into play?
- How did she respond to the recruiting industry collapse after the 2008 market crash?
- How long did it take for the legal recruiting market to return? What did she do to keep her business afloat?
- Define a wake-up call in your life and write down the wisdom you gained from it.
- Then, find someone caring to listen to your experience. Notice how you feel after you share Truth.
- Apply The Universal Principle: Pain and fear are life’s greatest teachers.
Mentoring Conversation Resources
- Read Solving Problems With Design Thinking by Jeanne Liedtka, Andrew King, and Kevin Bennett (2013).
- Jodi continues to learn new skills often. She is in one of my WeMentor Entrepreneurial Leadership and Mentoring LABS where you learn how to let go of the past, embrace the moment, and design and innovate a new future as an integrated human being! Do something great for yourself and your business. Get involved!
Brazen Courage in the Pit of Pain, Episode 69 www.talonperformancegroup.com
Next Monday’s Mentoring Conversation
A second mentoring conversation with Tom O’Neill of The Nerdery. We delve further into how the leadership team and its staff moved forward after a bloodcurdling loss of one of its co-founders, Luke Bucklin.